Budget: €3 million annually
Main Dutch/international partnerships: Mama Cash, Human Rights Watch, Global LGBT Philanthropy Project
Major donors: Dutch Foreign Ministry, EU, National Postcode Lottery, Arcus Foundation, Anonymous donors
- Hivos has been supporting LGBT organisations for 20 years with over 500 partner organisations and is currently the second largest donor of LGBT rights worldwide.
- 49 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender organisations in East and Southern Africa are participating in a tailor-made training programme that strengthens their capacity and internal organisation.
- In 2013, activities were organised in more than 110 countries to celebrate the International Day Against Homophobia, created and promoted by Hivos’ partner IDAHO.
- The long struggle of Hivos partners for the recognition of gay rights has contributed to a resolution at the Human Rights Council for the United Nations Convention against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Hivos was the first organisation in the world to put LGBT rights into a poverty alleviation/international development framework.
- Hivos was explicitly mentioned by Martina Navratilova in the Montreal World Outgames 2006 as best practice and model for working on LGBT Rights. "We need 1000 more Hivos!", she said.
- With Hivos’ support, many LGBT leaders have gone on to occupy influential posts in governments, multilateral organisations and universities.